This was the first week at my PDS in the Kindergarten classroom. We will not receive students until August 24th so this week was spent helping my mentor teacher get the classroom ready and conducting home visits. I never realized how much work went into setting up a classroom for the school year. My teacher had worked in the classroom prior to this week and there was still so much to accomplish. I think it was important for me to observe and help with this process. It truly made me feel part of the classroom environment and I was glad to help. This weekm we also attended Investigations Math training, teacher meetings and Faculty Senate. The Investigations training was beneficial to me because this will be the new system adpoted in the classroom and I will be able to use it as well as help my mentor teacher with Math.
I was also glad that I could participate in home visits. In classes and discussions, home visits tend to be a controversial topic. However, I think that they are appropriate for teachers to understand their students. I thought it was very interesting to see how the students interacted in their home environment and it can be interesting to compare this to how they interact in the school environment. It was also great to see how proud the students were when we came to their house and most of them gave us a “tour” of their bedrooms. I am excited now to meet the students and observe them in the classroom setting on Tuesday. I am looking forward to this year and getting to know and work with the students in the classroom. I am also anxious to start my Action Research and develop a wondering that can benefit my students.
No comments:
Post a Comment