Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week 9- October 11th-15th, 2010 and Inquiry

Beginning this week, I have taken over every subject in my PDS classroom. I am very excited to be so involved in this classroom and I am beginning to know the students more. I was observed two times this week-once by my mentor teacher and once by my liaison. My mentor teacher observed my morning routine and shared reading. She provided me with some useful feedback and helped me come up with ways that I could engage the students more. We discussed shortening a few things in the lesson and providing more time for other activities. My liaison observed an interactive read-aloud/reader’s theatre that I conducted with students during read-aloud time. My liaison provided me with very useful suggestions that I would like to use the next time I conduct this activity. Not all students had a part in the reader’s theatre so I promised that we would conduct this same read-aloud towards Halloween and different students could have a part. When I do it again, I would like to incorporate the suggestions my liaison provided me. I learned a lot this week about “constructive criticism”. You have to be able to take this to further your understanding. I was glad to get suggestions and feedback on how I can improve myself and my teaching this week.


I started my second Inquiry activity this week. This activity was missing numbers bingo. The students really seemed to respond to this game better than they had the previous activities. I think this is because the students saw this activity as more of a game and considered it fun. Next week, I have another game for students to play and I think they will respond to this positively as well. The only thing I am worried about in my study is time constraints. Math Workshop time goes by quickly and there is always other activities that the students have to get done. I am just hoping that I can fit in all my activities that I need to do and make sure that students conceptually understand the missing number concept. I am excited to analyze my data and assess the students in the end to see what they learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment