This week at my PDS, I started taking over the Morning Circle/Calendar Routine. The first day was interesting because I was unsure what to expect and I think my students felt the same way. The week before I began the routine, I observed my mentor teacher every morning and wrote down the routine step-by-step so nothing would be different for the students when I began teaching. On Monday, I was a little bit nervous, but everything went smoothly. I believe that I had control of the class and handled any problems that came up. On Wednesday, one student pointed out that I looked nervous when I was doing the name cheer. It was the first day I had done it, because the leader was a boy that day and he did not want to do the cheer. I was nervous and I was surprised that a student picked that out. The rest of the week went smoothly however. I did not forget anything in the routine and my mentor teacher said that if I had, the students would have definitely reminded me! Next week, I will continue with the Morning Circle/Calendar Routine and pick up the Morning Message with the students. I am curious to see how this will go with the students because so far, I have had a great experience!
Also this week, I started the counting and missing number mClass assessments with the students. I plan to be finished with the missing number assessments by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. After I am finished with the assessments, I can load the baseline data from the Palm onto the computer and see exactly where students are with the missing number concept and print it out for my records. I will start implementing my first missing number activity, Missing Number Bingo, next Wednesday during Math Center time. It will take me the rest of the week to get all the students through the game at my center. I have all the games and activities planned for the next five weeks that I am implementing at Math center time. They include: Missing Number Flashcards, Missing Number Bingo, Missing Number Board Game, and Oh No, Missing Numbers! (a folder game with chance cards). I am anxious to see how the students will respond to these games and if they will begin to understand the missing number concept more
Nicole, sounds as though you are getting into the swing of things in kindergarten. As you get more comfortable being in charge of the class you can begin to add some of you own little touches to the calendar and morning circle. How great that you are getting the experience of assessing some of the math using the new technology. What a invaluable experience. Can't wait to see your results after you implement the games.
ReplyDelete